Get Involved with the Fun, Food, and Growing!
Staff and interns teamed up with CLUES (Comunidades Latinas Unidas en Servicio) and Macalester College students to put on our best Earth Day ever on April 23rd! Around 45 participants joined us to clean up and completely prep a few of our gardens for spring planting. We ended the day with sweet chili cucumbers (a delicious, Mexican traditional snack), hot dogs roasting over a fire, and a seed planting for participants to bring home. Below find more of the upcoming exciting projects and events made possible through our vital partnerships!
Events, Happenings, New Projects:
Market Garden Program:
1. Rivoli Bluffs: In partnership with the Dayton’s Bluff Neighborhood Housing Services, our newest farm plot, nearly half an acre in development for the 2017 growing season
-High Tunnel: in partnership with the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Services, to be installed mid-summer at Rivoli Farm site.
2. GROW-IT Center: major project with Metro State and community partners to develop shuttered biological control greenhouse into community-university growing and research center
-Youth interns testified to Legislature
-$400,000 Grant included in the House Ag-Omnibus Finance Bill, fingers crossed!
3. Dinner on the Farm
-July 23, tickets at http://www.dinneronthefarm.com
4. Mississippi Market
-New Vendor for youth-grown produce
-CSA pickup site
-Positive Change Program in June- round up to support us!
-Food Fair June 17 with Urban Roots tabling at all three stores
5. Roots for the Home Team
-UR will be serving at Twins games on 6/17, 7/8, 8/20, 9/17
Cook Fresh Program
1. Saba Andualem: New Cook Fresh Program Coordinator!
2. Urban Pizza Farm: 6/29, 7/20, 8/21, stay tuned for details!
3. Chef-led lunches: Tuesdays, June 20-August 8, contact us if you’d like to share in the fun!
4. East Side Health and Well-Being Collaborative: East Side Table is piloting a 10-week free subscription meal program this summer for East Side low-income families in partnership with Local Crate andUrban Roots produce!
1. Take Aim, May 20, 11am-3pm
-The DNR WIllowbrook Hatchery, 1200 Warner Rd, St Paul, MN 55106
-Fun outdoor activities, including fishing, archery, canoeing, a climbing wall, bicycling, geocaching, laser range, live animals and a buckthorn art activity!
2. Slow Roll: July 26th 5:30-7:30
-Join us and Cycles for Change for a “Slow Roll” group bike ride through the East Side
-Enjoy a picnic at Urban Roots after the ride! Perfect for beginners and those who want to explore the East Side
3. National Fish & Wild Course: “Building Urban Wildlife Habitats with Youth”
-Four youth interns will work with conservation professionals from around the country, sharing their experiences working as a youth in conservation and then designing a pollinator garden at Hamm Park, to be installed later this summer.
4. Park Ranger Training- interns will learn how to give park tours from park rangers through the National Park Service
5. We are excited to have former intern Cha Vang joining Urban Roots as a seasonal staff member this summer.
6. Natural Leader Legacy Camp: a great opportunity for youth interns.
-June 9th-12th at Camp Icaghowan in Amery, WI.
-Designed to further knowledge and skills in community organizing, leadership, personal narrative and action planning, all with a goal of getting more people outside and engaged with the environment.
8. The buzz about Honey Bees!
-David Woods is now a certified beekeeper!
-New honey bee boxes installed at the Rivoli Farm Site
Cross-Program Activities and Events:
1. Bay Lake: Service Learning camp experience for all summer youth interns combined with end of the summer celebration and evaluation/reflection.
2. Open House, Aug 3: Youth-run pizza night and youth projects showcase- you’re invited!
3. Annual Event, October 12: Celebrate Urban Roots 20 years on the Eastside with great food, silent and live auctions. Harriet Island. So fun, don’t miss it!
4. Summer wood fire-pizza nights featuring special guest chefs. Tentative dates: June 29, July 20 and September 21-check our website for updates on these exciting events!
5. Volunteer Opportunities
-Next big event is May 13th from 9am-12pm.
-Register online for all volunteering at urbanrootsmn.org/volunteer