Last Thursday Urban Roots hosted an Alumni gathering to meet and greet past interns and hear what they’ve been up to! Youth Internship Coordinator Pheng Vang has been busy sorting through contacts, sending out emails, Facebook messages and making many phone calls to reach out to all of the interns who have worked in the Garden, Conservation and Cooking programs since 1998. The event was an informal gathering with delicious appetizers (Egg Rolls from the Egg Roll Queen of course!), raffle prizes, a photo booth, good conversation and games.
We had a great turn out with former interns in attendance from the garden programs inception in 1998. Some of them admitted they never really did like to weed, while others had much fonder memories of working together in the outdoors. Never-the-less what they all shared were how many memories they had working at Urban Roots as teens (some even broke into tears!) and noted the practical skills and influence their Urban Roots experience has stayed with them into their adult lives. It was great to hear some of the inspiring words and success stories they shared for the current interns in the program in attendance. Executive Program Director Patsy Noble has been a continuous force at the organization. She was the first Garden Program Manager at Urban Roots, (Community Design Center at the time), launching one of the first youth garden programs in the city, and voila, we had her first garden interns present and excited and proud to tell the tales of their first work experience. All of the Alumni attendees were happy and relieved to hear that we are still around today doing the amazing work we do….and we are too!
Market Garden Training Coordinator
Full time position
Urban Roots, Saint Paul, MN
Urban Roots, a 47-year-old nonprofit organization, seeks a full-time, dedicated person for the maintenance and operation of urban agriculture sites and to provide hands-on growing education, training and management of teenage interns, school groups, and volunteers under the Market Garden Program. The program engages youth and the greater community in sustainable urban agriculture through the growing and marketing of vegetable, herb, flower and other products through a CSA, Farmers Market, wholesale markets and a Seed to Table youth cooking program in East St Paul. The youth internship program is a paid work-skill development program in which teen participants learn work and life skills, practical growing skills, explore careers & college, operate a micro-farm business, and engage in opportunities in: entrepreneurship, cooking, public speaking and social/environmental advocacy, www.urbanrootsmn.org.
The Market Garden Training Coordinator works under the direction of the Farm & Food Director for the successful operation of urban agriculture sites and the goals and activities of the Market Garden Program for the following responsibilities:
• Execute daily market garden maintenance: site prep, planting and maintenance of crops, watering, weeding, harvesting, washing, packing, tool & general site upkeep
• Execute weekly CSA program, farmers market stand, and other food distribution channels during the growing season
• Provide daily supervision, training and crew management of teenage interns in agricultural work, CSA operations, education and other program related projects during the summer & academic year employment programs
• Plan and execute job skill & entrepreneurship training objectives to youth internship program participants
• Coordinate and lead hands-on urban agriculture education experiences to youth interns, school groups and the greater community
• Schedule and lead volunteer work groups in urban agriculture work
• Assist Program Directors in youth intern crew recruitment, hiring, scheduling, payroll and coordinate with work site partners
• Assist the Farm & Food Director in the execution of program related events, tours and partnership programs
• Manage program information including: worksite & youth intern related data, sales & distribution tracking and program evaluation
• Experience working in a production focused vegetable operation and selling through a CSA program and/or farmers market for a minimum of 2 growing seasons
• Experience supervising and mentoring youth
• Good written and oral communication skills along with a basic knowledge of computer software
• Experience developing & facilitating engaging hands-on activities, tours and workshops
• Self-starting, collaborative, ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
• Ability to lift 40 lbs. on a regular basis
• Valid Driver’s License for transportation of crews to work sites
• Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds, bilingual a plus
• Enthusiastic, creative, committed, flexible and fun
Compensation: $15/hour, plus benefits
This position is full-time with a desired start date of early February. This position requires flexibility with some weekend, holiday and evening hours.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 work references by 01/21/16
No phone calls please, all applicants will receive notification of the hiring status
Hiring: Market Garden Training Coordinator, Urban Roots, 463 Maria Ave Suite 207, St Paul, MN 55106 email@example.com (write “Market Garden Training Coordinator” in subject line)