Apply by June 30: Minnesota GreenCorps Member at Urban Roots
Urban Roots has been chosen to be a host site for a 2015-2016 Minnesota GreenCorps Member. The GreenCorps member will work with the Urban Roots Market Garden and Conservation Programs and work with teens in designing and implementing pollinator gardens, rain gardens, nature area restoration, geocaching and other outdoor activities, together with growing and marketing produce from six urban production sites.
Applications to MN GreenCorps all go through the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA). The MPCA is now accepting applications through June 30, 2015 from individuals interested in serving as an AmeriCorps member in MN GreenCorps for the 2015-2016 program year. Full-time positions will begin in mid-to-late September 2015 and last through August 2016, with members serving approximately 40 hours per week. Learn more and find out how to apply here through the MN Pollution Control Agency.
Youth Program Supervisor/GreenCorps member at Urban Roots
The GreenCorps member at Urban Roots will work with staff and the youth we serve. They will lead outreach and education efforts through partnering organizations (St. Paul public schools, public libraries, etc) to encourage sustainable living through outdoor play, urban gardening, healthy eating habits, biking for transportation, and using rain gardens to help with storm water management. The GreenCorps member’s projects will serve to improve the St. Paul community’s attitudes towards the environment through increased education and empowerment through action projects to ultimately improve both human and environmental health of the East Side community.
The GreenCorps member will work with the Market Garden and the Conservation Programs as part of a Program Team. The responsibilities include:
• With the Market Garden Program, provide knowledge and assistance to produce and prepare locally and organically grown vegetables and fruits, especially though community garden plots and school garden programs.
• With the Conservation Program – build awareness, appreciation, and respect for urban natural spaces through restoration projects and environmental education, encouraging the creation and maintenance of pollinator habitat, building confidence and awareness around the use of bikes as an alternative form of transportation, building, maintaining, and providing education around storm water management (rain gardens) both in public and private spaces.
• Support and work with youth and the Urban Roots staff in conducting education and enrichment activities in the community.
• Support and expand Urban Roots current outreach activities with local after school programs, focusing on teaching youth about local foods, the importance of pollinators, their role in the water cycle, and learning about their local parks and natural areas.
• Document results and submit quarterly and final projects to MPCA, including lessons learned that can inform and benefit other communities.
For more information about the GreenCorps Member work at Urban Roots, please contact our Conservation Program Manager (651-228-7073, ext 16).