Posted September 24, 2015
Urban Roots is seeking a full-time Donor Development Associate to coordinate and lead individual donor development and fundraising strategies and activities that increase our donor engagement, recognition and stewardship. A key aim is to increase the number of new donors and deepen the relationships with current donors and constituents. The DDA will work closely with the Executive Director, Program Director, and program staff and with the Fundraising Committee and Event Committee of the Board of Directors and plays an integral role in implementing the Strategic Fundraising Plan. An additional goal of the position is to raise the profile and public awareness of Urban Roots through regular, effective communications, updated collateral materials and relationships with media and other outlets. The DDA is expected to develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of Urban Roots mission, values, programs, impact and stories.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
Fundraising and Donor Development:
• Develop annual goals and creative and innovative strategies in individual donor development that integrate the overall strategies and goals of the organization.
• Develop and maintain thorough knowledge of current donors and donor base and develop plans to retain current donors, and increase those donations where possible.
• Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward new donors by effectively moving donor prospects through this giving cycle.
• Develop and implement strategies that will excite, incentivize and engage donors in Urban Roots activities and events.
• Enter and maintain confidential donor information into the database, keep records up to date, and prepare and distribute regular reports.
• Lead and implement fundraising campaigns including Annual Fundraising Dinner, other events, direct appeals, crowd sourcing, etc.
• Engage the board in fundraising activities.
• Assist with other fundraising activities as requested.
Communications and Community outreach:
• Represent Urban Roots at community events and activities as needed.
• Communicate with media and build media relationships; write and distribute press releases or articles as needed.
• Work with staff to develop and update marketing materials, brochures, cards, newsletters, participant stories, ‘case for support’ and others as needed.
• Manage website, facebook page, twitter account and write content as needed (with program, staff, board and organizational information & photos).
• Oversee & write social media content & function (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other tools as identified).
• Create and/or disseminate mass emails as needed.
• Develop annual fundraising budget.
• Active participation in the Fundraising Committee of the Board.
• Active participation in staff meetings and board meetings as requested.
• Identify and participate in professional development activities.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge in relevant professional fields of nonprofit fundraising, youth development, and food, urban agriculture and conservation.
• Coordinate with interns and volunteers as needed.
• Assist Executive Director as needed and requested.
• Bachelors degree in a relevant field, or 5 years relevant experience.
• At least 3 years of relevant fundraising experience.
• Excellent inter-personal and relationship-building skills.
• Knowledge and experience in non-profit fundraising work, and specifically individual giving strategies and campaigns, tools and resources, and ambition to learn more.
• Computer proficiency in WORD, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Ability to use database software and donor management or fundraising software.
• Experience and proficiency with social media and web software.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and ability to represent Urban Roots to a variety of audiences.
• Experience with leading fundraising events, campaigns, direct appeals and individual donor development.
• Project Management experience, with a proven ability to communicate and complete work effectively and efficiently, goal oriented and self-motivated.
• Experience and ability to work both independently and collaboratively with other staff and in teams or committees.
• Positive attitude & strong work ethic, with enthusiasm for the mission of Urban Roots
• Occasional evening or weekend work is expected.
Additional Information: Salary is commensurate with experience. This position qualifies for full benefits under the personnel policy of Urban Roots.
Any offer of employment is contingent on successful completion and passing of a background check.
Urban Roots recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in supporting and advancing the organization mission, and in enriching the experiences of its employees, board members, volunteers, supporters, partners and program participants and beneficiaries, and in supporting and advancing the organization mission. Urban Roots is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds. Urban Roots is an equal opportunity employer. Urban Roots provides equal access to and opportunity in its employment, programs, and facilities, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identification or expression.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should send their resume and a cover letter explaining why they are qualified for this specific position to: Development Associate Position at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will request contact information for 3 references from the short-listed candidates.
Deadline for Applications: By 3:00 pm on Friday, October 9, 2015